Friday, August 22, 2008

Beijing Diary Number 12

Days of contrast. Yesterday, an aggressive performance from Olive Loughnane (pictured) in the 20k walk, 7th, outstanding right up there and eating them on the final few kilometres. Today, in the 50k we lose Colin Griffin from Ballinamore after 18k - disqualified - shattered and have just come from talking to him. I have no doubt he will return to Italy to train come October and live to fight another day.

Jamie Costin from West Waterford, also 50k, was preparing for the olympics in Athens 2004, when I got the call in a training camp in Cyprus that north of that city when a lorry came round the corner, wrong side of road, and wiped him out. He was flown home by air ambulance, lay on his back for months, and what resillience to come back qualify for this having qualified in Leamington last year, an event I flew over to have a look at. He struggled towards the end but got there and is back on his feet tonight after a struggle in his event to finish. There are many such stories of endeavour in sport, people overcoming the odds to acheive or simply to compete. That's how it is and really it just underlines once again for me regarding the children in Finn Valley - they need to want to do well themselves to be part of something, etc. So you can understand when I lose the head when many can't organise themselves to attend training Sunday mornings. I always have felt that is the acid test, the other aspect of life that is underlined time and time again. Just not here at this time is discipline and hard work. I noticed a fella with a a sign yesterday which read "free Hug" and I thought what a brilliant idea. Never witnessed that approach before. The word hug came to mind when I thought of training, too much hugging going on and not enough work so the man says. What man? Yer man Patsy. I know I know I know, there is the human factor of friendliness etc but let's adopt a no nonesense approach. How and why did I start on about this, maybe it's because it's nearly time to go home and I look forward to no prisoners being taken in the months ahead. Maybe, let's see.

I talked to Alistair this afternoon, came round the corner, he is sitting relaxing on the grass. Well what are you going to do about this 5k tomorrow night? He is all set for top 8, in good form and will talk a little more in depth tomorrow. I will bring him to the track, be in his ear, not over cook it and let's see where it brings him. Alistair has enjoyed his experience with us. This time the training camp, etc. and when he did an interview after his 5k heat the last night, he did it without the knowledge of qualification. Greg Allen, RTE, let me have a listen to it today when we were both hanging around. It was such a sad insight of a young man who lives in a US city, is lonely and dosen't know where to turn. I talked to him about that today and again invited him to come live in Ballybofey for a period as I have done before. We will see if he ever does decide to pay us a visit. I left the village for the first time yesterday in the company of Max Jones, who finishes his contract with the team after this. Went to a market, it was just too busy and ran out of it practically. Not so good, 'cause need to get some presents. Max who is Head Coach has been marvellous company on this trip. And just before I forget, who did i meet at the market but Darren O'Dea and Grainne O'Dea from Raphoe. Darren works for Manchester United and Grainne for Richard Simms and no matter how long it has been since we last spoke we seem to just pick up the conversation as if it was yesterday. In my position in Finn Valley you come in contact with so many people, some appreciate the efforts you make and realise the important impact it has been on their lives, others and it takes many years to get used to it just meet you as if they never set eyes on you ever.

And that brings me to respect at community level and that of course is as important at this level. Interesting if people relate to you with respect, you simply will them on to success. The reverse being you remain professional but do not have the same reaction for those that do not show respect. I am a wild man for respect and attitude. I think you will understand. Did not go to the track tonight, just catching up on laundry and you will be pleased to know they wash your clothes here and have them back in 12 hours. What else can I tell you? Oh yes the canteen which houses five thousand people at any one time stays open 24 hours. Hard to beat that but let me quickly add that I have watched my eating as you could eat yoursely into oblivion if you so chose.

What's the buzz today? Well, unfortunately it's the horse but it does not impact a lot on the morale here as the equestrion events competition are in Hong Kong. Hopefully all being well I'll be on a flight back into Derry Tuesday night and back pacing the track at Valley (pictured) Thursday . Finally, have got emails and messages from Valley people all around the world. Just to say I appreciate each and every one of them. Will send one last diary posting in next few days. Thanks for being with me through this format in the recent weeks, it has been good for me.

Patsy mc Gonagle
Senior/Olympic team manager
Athletics Ireland
0872226112
http://www.finnvalleyac.com

(PLEASE reference www.finnvalleyac.com if you decide to use content from my diary. Thanks for your continued support)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

on the button with Alasdair Craig...shame as he his times suggest top 5. enjoy the experience Patsy and the blog is excellent. I can see a book coming! Ger/Dec O'C